Friday, April 27, 2012

Game Classroom




I finally found a new Web 2.0 tool!! I had to try many different tools before finding one that I feel that I can continue to use in my classroom. The gameclassroom.com website is very well organized. The website is designed to be used as a learning tool for students in Kindergarten through sixth grade. Each grade level has a list of math and language arts activities. These activities include printable worksheets, interactive games, and educational videos. Gameclassroom.com also has a section for teachers that includes lesson plans and extension ideas. This site provides me with a tool that will help me to differentiate my instruction. Each of the math games that I tested started at a basic level and progressed to higher levels. The progression was determined by how well I scored on each of the tasks given. For my students, this will allow them to continue to work on any tasks not yet mastered while giving the other students the opportunity to move on when ready.
I am extremely excited about the language arts portion of this web 2.0 tool. Fourth grade is a big writing year! This website provided me with several games that will provide my students with much needed writing practice. For example, Fractured Fairytales is a game that presents the students with a traditional fairytale to read. Then, they must write a new version of the same story. Students are allowed to change characters, plot, setting, and more of the original stories. I am extremely excited about finding this particular game because I was going to have my students do this next week!! Now I am going to be able to allow them to create their stories on-line.

See for yourself and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment